Friday, July 13, 2007

Sacrifice

I play a sport that I'm very involved in. Some call it passionately. My ex-boyfriend said I was obsessed. Naturally, we're not dating anymore. ;)

My team is competitive and our players run the club as officers and do all of the work to keep our team going. I'm an officer as well as a starting player. Beyond this, there are our twice-weekly practices in the fall and spring, games almost every Saturday and in the summer, pretty much a tournament every weekend.

And while I still love my sport, there are many days where it just zaps me. And I know I spend too much time - and too much money on it. So I've realized that part of my journey to becoming debt-free and getting my life back is taking more control of my schedule. Learning to say No to some of my commitments. Learning to take time for myself and get/stay organized.

This weekend is a fun tournament a few hours north of here. All of my friends are going, including my boyfriend and his team. They will all play all day, probably win the tournament and party it up. Someone even dragged a kiddie pool up there last year, so we had a pool party on the sidelines.

So, needless to say they are very confused why I said I wasn't going. Am I sick? Do I have to work? Do I have a wedding or family event? No, no and no. I'm staying home to clean up my house, organize my life and save money. I'm sure I would've spent at least $30-40 by going. So that will stay in my pocket. And yes, I'm a bit sad I'm missing the fun. But in the big picture, I know it's more important for me to stay home and take care of my life.

There will always be another day for fun and sports. But like the ants told the grasshopper, you need to work in the summer, so you're ready for the winter. And I don't like snow.

No comments: