Friday, January 4, 2008

The Big Freeze?

I was doing really well in not using my credit cards all of this fall. Which the companies hate, but hey, I kind of hate them back. :)

But Christmas threw that out the window. It doesn't help that everything is so expensive. Gas, food, presents ... Again, my lack of self-discipline aided and abetted my idiocy.

So to force myself to not use my credit cards at all ... even in an Emergency (hence the Emergency Fund!), I made the decision that I would put them in the deep freeze. I'm going to get a tupperware container, fill it full of water and freeze the bastards.

Because I just moved in with my boyfriend though, and don't want to have to explain why I need to freeze my credit cards, I'm going to ask my mom to freeze them for me at her house. Just back in some dark corner of the freezer.

This will accomplish several things ...
1. I won't be able to access my cards instantly from my wallet
2. Knowing I don't have my cards to fall back on, I will have to plan any spending according to my available finances.
3. If after this, I still feel the need to use them, I will have all of the time it takes me to travel to my mom's house and thaw out the card before I actually use them, thereby having enough time to realize how stupid that is and not doing it.

I plan to do this this weekend. This is an important step, I believe.

No comments: