Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Mental Health Day

Yesterday, I woke up and decided to use a sick day from work to get some stuff done. As it turns out, my boss also was out sick, so that worked out pretty well.

I wasn't actually sick, but I needed a mental health day. Sometimes you need those days.

I did spend some money, but it was on things I needed and I think I shopped for all the best bargains I could.

I hit up the school supplies for a 40-cent notebook to better keep track of my financial info, a pencil case for my backpack so I stop losing all pens/pencils that cost 90 cents, detergent for laundry, a loaf of bread, among other things on my to-do list. I also stopped at our local home-improvement store to buy two six-foot shelves and the brackets, screws, etc., to add the two shelves to my wall in my bedroom. I don't have much space to work with, so I'm going vertical. I also needed a bottle of motor oil for my car and I bought my boyfriend a $7 sprinkler for our vegetable garden. It hasn't rained here in a few weeks and stuff is getting dry. This way, he can let the garden get good and soaked at night and our hard work in our veggies will pay off in all kinds of good eats.

I feel bad about the money I spent ... but other than a coffee for myself and my brother (who I hadn't seen in a few weeks), all items I will use right now or in the long-term.

I visited with my brother for a while, then dropped off the sprinkler at my boyfriend's house and picked some cilantro for my house, then stopped by my parent's house to check on their cat and three dogs, including nice long walks for the dogs (so excited!). Then I went home, ate some lunch and tackled my shelves by hand.

My sister came home and was at first a tad peeved that the shelves were a sign of me moving in permanently - I'm more of a "transient" roommate in status and our co-habitation is more of a stopover until I either feel like I should get my own place or my boyfriend and I decide to live together. But I explained that the shelves were easy to remove whenever I left or she could keep them for herself. She was also impressed that I installed them by hand. I'm awesome. :) One bracket didn't fit right, so I tried to force it in with a hammer, thereby denting it a little, still not fitting. So I have to buy one more at the store that fits, but thankfully they were only like $2.

Now I have a lot of stuff off my floor and up out of the way, thereby creating more space and making it easier to keep clean.

I could use another day off today, but alas, work is more important. I'm going to buckle down now and stay off the grid for hopefully the rest of the day.

No comments: