Thursday, July 19, 2007

403b

On my major to-do list has been figuring out what a 401k is, if I need one and how I can get one.

Everything I read says you need one if you're going to be financially smart and savvy for retirement. And that you need to start one as soon as possible.

I kept reading about them, all the different vocabulary words out there and it was just gobbley-gook to me.

Additionally, the Human Resource ladies at my job often seem more confused by my questions than helpful.

So I decided to ask my boss, as she's been quite knowledgeable about other aspects of my employment, despite our differing career paths and designations within our place of employment (I'm union, she's non-union).

And man, did I stike gold with that decision. Turns out she has a special love for her Tax-Sheltered Annuities and really believes that women need to take care of their money and educate themselves in these areas as much as possible.

So I learned that I actually want a 403b, not a 401k, because I work at a public institution. And she showed me how I could start one, where she would start out investing her money in what funds and how to start learning more. This rookie is very thankful for this conversation today.

I also learned a bit about what a Roth IRA is, how over time I can better "diversify" where my investments are and helpful websites where I can keep learning. I'll post those in my resource area on the sidebar.

So there is my new goal. To start my 403b, no matter how small I have to start it, as I pay off my debt.

I just wish I would've asked these questions years ago. However, it's never too late. Right? Right!

No comments: