Friday, March 28, 2008

Keep Your Fingers Crossed - Career Update

Good news on the career front.

The job that I hoped would be approved at my old employer has been approved. My old boss just let me know it will be posted in the "next week or so".

I like my current job. Been here 3.5 years, but I feel a bit stagnant and I don't see a place to grow here. I would just remain in the same position, getting salary bumps and wouldn't be able to grow into any higher position without going back to school for a further advance degree in either business or science. My boss is only 10 years older than me, so that's not an option either.

I like the people I work with here, they are all very nice people and overall, it's a good place to work. Just not for me anymore. I miss my old job and the idea of being there full-time would be a dream. I was previously a full-time intern for two years after being a part-time student worker in grad school for one year, three years total. I'm also sure I'd be picking up similar and much-loved work as I had when I finished there. Which would be awesome!

So I'll be applying for that as soon as it opens. My competition could be fierce, but I know I have a great shot. And I'm ready to negotiate a better salary as well.

It won't be very fun to tell my boss here that I'm considering leaving, but I know she'll understand.

And good timing, but I'll be doing some fun volunteer work with my old boss and coworkers this weekend so I can remind everyone about how hard I work, good attitude, and gain some crucial place in their minds when it comes to hiring time.

So keep your fingers crossed!

No comments: