Friday, January 4, 2008

Starting ... Again

I deleted my old version of this blog. I didn't like it. I hadn't written on it since August. But I wanted to. And I wanted a cleaner, fresher start. So here we go.

I'm in a much better place than I was two years ago. 18 months ago. One year ago. Six months ago. Even one month ago. Moving Forward. Just keep swimming ...

Today I faced facts. I have $79,070.74 of debt. $42,688.07 of that is on credit cards or what my FICO report refers to as revolving debt. Yes, I know how it happened. But no, I have no excuses or reasoning. It is what it is.

$4404.04 of that is also my car which I only have 18 of 84 payments remaining (no need to point out 84 payments wasn't a smart loan). The remaining $31,978.63 of my debt is my consolidated student loans. Both of these amounts are considered installment debts.

In rank of "Worst" to "If you have to have debt, it's okay to have this":

Worst = Credit Card Debt of 42K
Not As Bad = Car Loan Debt of 4K
Better than Bad = Student Loan Debt of 32K

Using the DOLP idea - Dead on Last Payment - based on my current amounts, rates, etc., I have 18 payments left for my car. I have roughly 50 payments left for all of my credit cards. I have 141 payments left for my student loans.

I am 30 years old. My car will be paid off when I am 31 and a half. I have set a goal that I will my try my hardest to pay off all of my credit card debt by my 33rd birthday in September of 2010. This is two years and nine months away. Which is less than my DOLP number of 50 (just over 4 years). I feel this is a goal I can reach for. After I pay off my credit card debt and car loan debt, I will redirect more money to my student loan debt so I have this paid off before I turn 40. Actually, let's say before I turn 37.

I also paid $7 today to get my credit score while I got one of my three free credit reports (whoever's idea that was for free reports - THANK YOU!). Surprisingly, I ranked a "Fair" with a low 700. This was a pretty big surprise. I was fairly sure I was failing.

I saw that FICO will be changing their scoring system this spring. I can only assume my number will decrease.

I also noticed that one of my credit cards does not show up on the report. I don't know why. It's a long story, but that card gave me a "Business" version, even though I don't own a business. I think that might be why it doesn't show up. That is the card I had the worst history with. I have recently transferred the majority of that card's balance to others with zero percent balances and only have $425 left on it to pay off. I want to pay that off as soon as possible and then ask them to switch me back to a non-business card. I plan to leave it open, but without a balance in case down the road I need it to transfer back for a better interest rate.

I am using balance transfer deals to get ahead. I know this is risky. I didn't really have a choice. I hope to pay off enough in the next year (by 2009) to get improved rates on the cards, so I can consolidate better or possibly even take out a good personal loan from a bank and get it all off the cards.

I also have a handy little budget book I bought at one of our local bookstores. I want to start maintaining a better budget and recording my daily expenses. I started it in November, dropped it a bit and plan on starting that over too.

I am leaving this blog as anonymous as possible. For now anyway. Flip is a nickname I made up as a kid while playing with my sister. Nobody but me calls me Flip. I am also not posting an e-mail address on here. This will be a journal just for me, but I will be accountable to myself and to the anonymous world.

At this point, only my mom has a rough idea of my debt. And I don't think she knows for sure how bad it is. She struggles with her own debt (as do my sister, my brother and probably most everyone I know). One of the secondary - and most important - reasons I want to pay off my debt is so I can help my family be free of debt someday too.

I have a really wonderful boyfriend. He owns a house and I just moved in with him on New Year's Day. He only knows that I have a lot of student loans. He does too. But outside of his mortgage and a car loan, he has no bad debt and a very well-paying job. For him, "Debt" is a very evil word.

The other morning on the news, there was a story about a family that had $38,000 worth of credit card debt. My boyfriend was absolutely floored. He was already in shock that the average consumer allegedly has $10,000 worth of credit card debt. The good news was that that family paid off their massive debt in five years and I said "Wow, that is good to hear." He was still talking about that family even yesterday. I just quietly nod my head and then change the subject.

At this time, my debt is a secret that only I will know about until I have some real goals accomplished. I have lived with my shame for a long time. A while longer won't hurt me any worse.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We'd love to get your feed back. We recently started a poll on the Best and Worst Credit Card Issuer. Feel free to stop by and give us your opinion.